Joseph Langel is a shareholder of Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney, and primarily represents cities, counties and school districts. Mr. Langel is currently city attorney for 10 cities and a number of public school districts, providing general counsel in virtually all areas of municipal law. Joe has extensive experience in public contracting and bid laws, construction, planning and zoning, leasing and condemnation. He has also defended municipalities in a variety of litigation cases in state and federal court, including contract disputes, assessment appeals, personal injury, defamation, civil rights and discrimination. Joe also practices landlord tenant law, representing private sector landlords.
Joe graduated magna cum laude from Loras College in 1987, and received his M.A. degree from the University of Chicago. He received his J.D. degree, cum laude, from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1994. Prior to joining Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney, Joe was a judicial law clerk for Judge Thomas Kalitowski at the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
A private pilot, Joe loves flying as well as hiking, camping and skiing with his family.
- Municipal Law
- School Law
- Insurance Defense
- Planning and Zoning
- Property Law
- Public Contracting
- Employment Law
- Student Rights
- Leasing and Condemnation
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Minnesota School Boards Association
- National Council of School Attorneys
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Chicago, M.A.
- Loras College, B.A., Magna Cum Laude
- Gunnink v. State (Minn. App. Aug. 24, 2010)
- Watab Township Citizen Alliance v. Benton County, 728 N.W.2d 82 (Minn. App. 2007)
- Nguyen v. Nguyen, 565 N.W.2d 721 (Minn. App. 1997)
- Ireland v. Crow’s Nest Yachts, Inc., 552 N.W.2d 269 (Minn. App. 1996)