Laura Tubbs Booth is a partner at Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney. She has represented school districts over 25 years and is the recipient of the 2019 Minnesota Association of Special Educators’ Distinguished Service Award. Laura focuses much of her work with schools in Minnesota and North Dakota on preventive law and the practical application of the law. She has represented clients in administrative proceedings and in state and federal courts including the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Laura routinely advises clients on all areas of education law, including special education and other student issues; discrimination; data practices and open meeting matters; employment issues; investigation of employment and child maltreatment issues; policy development, training and coaching in the human resources/employment area. Laura has successfully represented Minnesota schools in several cases that have shaped education law in Minnesota. Laura is a frequent presenter and trainer for school districts and charter schools.
Before coming to Ratwik, Roszak, & Maloney, Laura was the Founder and Managing Partner of Booth Law, LLC. She was also a partner at Rider Bennett, LLP and the Executive Director of Human Resource Services for the Wayzata Public Schools. During law school, Laura was a member of the Silver Gavel Society, Law Review and received a Dean’s Academic Scholarship for each of her three years. Laura also received a March of Dimes Scholarship for her public service in college.
When not representing clients, Laura is active in teaching adaptive skiing during the winter, and hiking, biking and cabin time in the summer.
- Special Education
- School Law
- Employment Law
- Appellate Advocacy
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota School Boards Association
- National Council of School Attorneys
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A., Business Management, Human Relations
- Certified Mediation Training
- M.B. v. Osseo Area Public Schools, 2018 WL 1420497 (D. Minn. 2018)
- J.J.E. v. I.S.D. 279, 2017 WL 164432 (Minn. App. 2017)
- A.B. ex rel. Barclift v. Westonka Indep. Sch. Dist. 227, 2015 WL 321415 (D. Minn. 2015)
- I.E.C. v. Minneapolis Public Schools, 24 F.Supp.3d 1006 (D. Minn. 2014)
- C.N. v. Willmar Public Schools, 591 F.3d 624 (8th Cir. 2010)
- M.M. v. Minneapolis Schools, 512 F.3d 455 (8th Cir. 2008)
- C.J.N. v. Minneapolis Public Schools, 323 F.3d 630 (8th Cir. 2003)
- E.N. v. Special School District No. 1, 603 N.W. 2d 344 (Minn. App. 1999)
- In the Matter of Dillenberger, 486 N.W. 2d 17 (Minn. App. 1992)
- Blackburn v. Minneapolis, 1992 WL 340546 (Minn. App. 1992)
- Benda v. Madison East Properties, 1989 WL 1563 (Minn. App. 1989)