Christian Shafer is a shareholder of Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney. He advises school district, charter schools, education districts, and municipal clients in all areas of school law, special education law, employment matters, municipal law, and labor law. He has successfully represented clients in State and federal courts, special education due process hearings, administrative proceedings conducted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Office of Civil Rights, and Minnesota Department of Human Rights, and state departments of education, as well as grievance and discharge arbitrations. Christian has also served as an investigator for school districts, charter schools, counties, and the State of Minnesota.
Christian prides himself on providing his clients with easily understood, practical advice. He routinely advises clients on implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act, and other laws regarding educational services provided to students. Christian also routinely advises clients on compliance with state and federal employment and benefits laws, including the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
Christian is a frequent presenter for school districts, the Minnesota Association of School Administrators, the Minnesota Administrators for Special Education, the South Dakota Council of Administrators for Special Education, and other groups that support schools. He has been a guest lecturer in post-graduate level school district administration classes.
Prior to attending law school, Christian worked in a school district’s Community Education Department for over five years. In that role, Christian worked directly with students, parents, and other school district staff on day-to-day school activities and issues.
When he is not working, Christian enjoys spending time with his wife and children. He also enjoys travelling, reading, listening to music, and spending time outdoors.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Municipal Law
- Special Education
- School Law
- Appellate Advocacy
- Employee Benefits
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota School Boards Association
- National Council of School Attorneys
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- South Dakota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- Matter of Doe by and Through Doe v. St. Paul Conservatory for Performing Artists, 2018 WL 6624203 (D. Minn. 2018)
- Barker v. County of Lyon, 813 N.W.2d 424 (Minn. App. 2012)
- K.E. v. Independent School District No. 15, St Francis, 647 F.3d 795 (8th Cir. 2010)