Margaret Skelton is a shareholder and the President of Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney. She has been practicing for 25 years in the areas of labor and employment law, school law, municipal law and general civil litigation defending both public entities and private businesses against claims. She represents public entities including school districts, cities and counties in all aspects of public sector employment law. She routinely represents management in grievance arbitrations, interest arbitrations and negotiations of collective bargaining agreements. She has tried cases to juries in state and federal court on a variety of matters. She has also argued before the Minnesota Supreme Court, Minnesota Court of Appeals and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. She is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Prior to joining Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney, Ms. Skelton was an Assistant St. Paul City Attorney in the civil litigation division. She advised and defended the City of St. Paul in a variety of lawsuits in state and federal court.
When not representing clients, Margaret enjoys watching her two high school boys play hockey, basketball, soccer and track. She also loves to waterski and hike.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
- School Law
- Municipal Law
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Minnesota School Boards Association
- National Council of School Attorneys
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., with honors
- Tichich v. City of Bloomington, et al., 835 F.3d 856 (8th Cir. 2016)
- Doe 175, et al. v. Columbia Heights School District, et al., 873 N.W.2d 352 (Minn. App. 2016)
- Emerson v. Independent School District No. 199, 809 N.W.2d 679 (Minn. 2012)
- Blumhardt v. Independent School District No. 361, 2012 WL 16589222 (Minn. App. 2012)
- Mumid, et al. v. Minneapolis Public Schools, 618 F.3d 789 (8th Cir. 2010)
- M.Y., et al. v. Special School District No. 1, 544 F.3d 885 (8th Cir. 2008)