Christian Shafer is a shareholder of Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney. He advises both school district and municipal clients in employment matters, all areas of school law, municipal law, and labor law. He has successfully represented clients in State and federal courts, grievance and discharge arbitrations, special education due process hearings, and administrative proceedings conducted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Office of Civil Rights, and Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Christian has also served as an investigator for school districts, counties, and the State of Minnesota.
Christian prides himself on providing his clients with easily understood, practical advice. He routinely advises clients on compliance with State and Federal employment and benefits laws, including the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Minnesota Human Rights Act, and the Affordable Care Act.
Christian is a frequent presenter for school districts across the State, the Minnesota Association of School Administrators and the Minnesota Association of Special Educators. He has been a guest lecturer in post-graduate level school district administration classes.
Prior to attending law school, Christian worked in a school district’s Community Education Department for over five years. In that role, Christian worked directly with students, parents, and other school district staff on day-to-day school activities and issues.
When he is not working, Christian enjoys spending time with his wife and children. He also enjoys travelling, reading, listening to music, and spending time outdoors.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Municipal Law
- Special Education
- School Law
- Appellate Advocacy
- Employee Benefits
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota School Boards Association
- National Council of School Attorneys
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Barker v. County of Lyon, 813 N.W.2d 424 (Minn. App. 2012)
- K.E. v. Independent School District No. 15, St Francis, 647 F.3d 795 (8th Cir. 2010)